Re: Lazy network operators

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sat Apr 10 17:05:18 2004

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Chris Boyd wrote:

> Please note that we no longer accept any network abuse reports at this
> address. Any reports must be submitted by using the following web form:
> http://www.ntlworld.com/netreport
>
> Any reports sent to this email address will not be read and will be
> automatically deleted.

I can guess their reasoning for this is they're tired of bogus complaints
(from address on spam/virus was forged to look like it came from them) or
complaints lacking the necessary detail to take any action...but the way
they've implemented their forms is not going to win them any fans.

You have to click through multiple layers of forms before you can actually
put in any details.  None of the reason options are SPAM.  And on my first
try, their site caused Mozilla to crash.

Also, I doubt this was a decision made by the "network operators", but
rather by the abuse department or more likely, whoever oversees it,
perhaps figuring that by having the web form CGI neatly categorize all
complaints, they can get by with less staff (or clue) handling abuse.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |