Re: worm information

  • From: Jeff Workman
  • Date: Sat Apr 10 13:55:28 2004

--On Saturday, April 10, 2004 8:35 AM -0700 "Christopher J. Wolff" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Over the last few days I've seen a number of hosts attempt to initiate TCP
connections to the following ports in sequence.

80
139
445
6129
3127
1025
135
2745
...repeat.

There's a number of viruses/worms in the wild that are programmed to exploit various M$ vulnerabilities:

80 - IIS WebDAV (MS03-007)and any number of other IIS vulnerabilities
135 - DCOM RPC (MS03-026)
445 - RPC locator (MS03-001) and Workstation service (MS03-049)
139 - Unpassworded NetBIOS shares

I'm not sure about the other ports, I *think* 1025 has something to do with MS RPC as well, but don't quote me on that.

What you are probably seeing, at least in the cases involving the ports I listed above, is one of the many W32.Gaobot (Symantec)[1] variants.

-J

[1] http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.gaobot.um.htm
--
Jeff Workman | [email protected] | http://www.pimpworks.org