Re: IOS 12.3(x) Strange service ports open on router

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Fri Apr 09 16:29:34 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Robert Blayzor writes:
> >Petri Helenius wrote:
> >> Put "transport input none" to your tty lines.
> >
> >That was it.  Seems like the default value changed between versions.
> >Thanks.
>
> Wonderful -- a change to default behavior that opens up lots of ports.
> This is exactly the wrong direction to go in.

No kidding.

Another pet peeve of roughly the same category: when you enable IPv6,
telnet is automatically open to the world (using v6), even if you have
disabled v4 telnet with an access-list.

The vendor refused to believe this is a problem, so I'm waiting for v6
deployment to get really started before writing bugtraq.