Re: IOS 12.3(x) Strange service ports open on router

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Fri Apr 09 15:23:06 2004

Robert Blayzor wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone that recently upgraded to IOS 12.3 on any access servers have run into this problem...

Put "transport input none" to your tty lines.

Pete

We recently upgraded our AS5x00 access servers to the 12.3(x) main line. Upon doing so we started seeing some very strange RADIUS accounting
records coming from IP addresses all over the Internet. Normally these
boxes are ACL'd but upon scanning an IP address that the routers listen
on nmap shows a slew of open TCP service ports which accept connections. Upon connecting to one of the ports we're prompted for username and password just as if we connected to the VTY management lines. If we try to log in, it queries the RADIUS server.

The question is why suddenly are the routers answering on tons of ports, is there a way to turn these service ports off? Normally these routers only listen on port 22/23 and 514 at best.

Upon nmapping the access servers now, we see something like the below.
(TAC suggested an access-list; I know we can apply an access-list to
block all this, but then that means we have to put ingress access-lists
on every interface, including connected modem users, etc.)

2001/tcp open dc
2003/tcp open cfingerd
2005/tcp open deslogin
2007/tcp open dectalk