Re: Any good Wave Boxes to do this?

  • From: Matthew Crocker
  • Date: Thu Apr 08 18:37:17 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 5:05 PM, Deepak Jain wrote:

I have seen boxes from MRV and others that will do 2GE into an OC48. I really feel bad about "wasting" that 500mb/s on essentially an IP application, but can't really justify putting OC48 ports into a catalyst 6500 of this application.

Likewise, uplinking to a GSR just to get cheaper OC48 ports doesn't make sense when you count the cost of the GE ports.

Is there a good box out there that will say take 2xOC48 and give me 5 GEs?

Have you looked at the ONS 15454 ? You won't waste the bandwidth and you TDM capabilities as well. You can use the muxponder cards to put 4 OC-48 IR1310s into 1 OC-192 as well. You could also use CWDM and just run straight GE, or do you have to use OC-48 for transport?

-Matt