Re: OT: Determining toll free # ownership

  • From: Lou Katz
  • Date: Wed Apr 07 14:05:55 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:16:09AM -0400, David Lesher wrote:

> Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I know this is somewhat off topic, but I am hoping someone here has previously dealt with this problem and has an answer.
> >
> > For some reason, the access telephone number for our "internal use only" dial-up modem pool -- which also happens to connect to our fax server -- has gotten on several fax spammers telephone list as being a fax telephone number. We have captured several dozen faxes sent through that number over the past few days, and they all have 'enter your number here to delete' toll free numbers on them and we would like to find out the telco that owns those blocks of 800# so we can complain.

'For some reason' ... junkfaxers 'war dial' looking for fax tones. That is how one
of my totally unlisted and never distributed fax number got picked up. Since
I use that number only for outgoing paper faxes, the fix was easy. I turned
off auto-answer.

--
-=[L]=-
PS: Sorry for sending this to you, 'reply' in this case did not get me