Re: Anti-Spam Router -- opinions?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Apr 06 14:46:16 2004

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:02:41 PDT, Joel Jaeggli said:

> I sent more than 20 mails in the last hour. Given that I have a local mta
> each of those results in a seperate connection attempts to the machine I

OK. Make it 100, or make it "20 by default, user can ask for 100".  Or
anything else like that.  The *POINT* was that too often, a compromised
end-user machine can send *THOUSANDS* of messages.  Not tens. Not
hundreds. Thousands.

Remember - if you're catching 1M spams/day, that means that the spammer
has to have a machines*rate product over 1M spams/day.  If there's 10 billion
spams/day total, the total machines*rate product has to be over 10G.  And
if there's only several million source machines, that means the rate has to be
in the thousands.