Re: Anti-Spam Router -- opinions?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Apr 06 13:34:16 2004

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:14:31 EDT, Matthew Crocker said:

> IF you can rate-limit them across the whole Internet,  If you limit 2
> million machines to 20 msgs/day per mail server you are back up to your
> 10 Billion msgs/day mark.  This is where DCC or other distributed
> checksum systems come into play.

My point was that there's no real *need* to distinguish between a legitimate
user sending 20 emails and an 0wned box sending 20 emails, as the distinction
is "legitimate 20 emails" versus "0wned 20K emails".

If I were to only give my users 20 outbound connections/day, there wouldn't be
a per-mail-server issue. Whether I can make such a policy stick is another
question entirely.