Re: Mailserver requirements

  • From: Jim Segrave
  • Date: Tue Apr 06 06:19:26 2004

On Tue 06 Apr 2004 (00:55 +0200), Daniel Roesen wrote:

> > > Does it have an A RR?
> >
> > It also does have an A RR. And the forward mapping does also match the
> > IP address.
>
> OK, so the check is even broken in what it probably tries to verify...
> that the reverse-domain of the sender IP would (possibly) be able to
> receive mail (bounces).

Why would bounces go to an outbound mail server? They go to the
envelope sender, which might well be in a different domain. The check
is simply ill-advised and will cause the system running such a check
to have cut itself off from a large number of legitimate sources of email

> > > Anyway... it's a heuristic which definately does give false positives.
> > > The only requirement is that IF a domain/host accepts mail there MUST be
> > > a [email protected] address.
> >
> > In this case the host *sends* mail ...
>
> Sure. I was discussing the requirements for domains regarding email.
>
> In this specific case, "domain" being the domain of the PTR of the
> sending MTA host.

If you are sending mail via a virtual ISP, then the 'real' ISP's mail
servers will probably be in a different domain than your virtual ISP
which might be a different domain than your account. Checking mail
reachability of an outbound MTA is simply absurd.

--
Jim Segrave           [email protected]