Re: RFC2549 revisited

  • From: David Lesher
  • Date: Fri Apr 02 00:55:44 2004

SMB:

> For what it's worth, I first heard that analogy -- more precisely,
> "never understimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of mag tapes
> going up the Taconic Parkway" in the 1969-1970 academic year.

The classic Compuserve story was they got {Internet} mail before
ftp, etc... This mail came via a Telebit Trailblazer link to OSU
where Karl Kleinpaste was postmaster, or at least chief guru.

Trouble was, CIS users soon discovered: a) ftp-by-mail {It broke
your ftp up into mail-sized chunks and mailed you as many parts
as needed..  I used to use it for SIMTEL20} and b) certain Swedish
ftp sites.

By the time Karl got on top of it, the queue had overflowed
all available OSU mail disk space and shut down OSU's mail. The
nose-high professors had the unmitigated gall to complain about
same.  Karl had to work fast.

The first thing was a CIS mail block. The second was to write off
much of the backlog to 9 track tape and drive it across town to
CIS where they mounted and loaded same. The only disappointment
in this is there is no "turnpike" anywhere nearby Columbus, &
I don't know if Karl drove a station wagon.

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]