MLPPP Follow Up - How we fixed the problem

  • From: Richard J. Sears
  • Date: Tue Mar 30 15:40:47 2004

I asked the group some time ago about some problems we were seeing with
MLPPP on our Cisco 7513s.

I have had 5 or 6 people contact me off list to ask how we solved the
problem, so I figured I would post "our" solution to the group. I am
sure there may be other fixes, however this works great for us and we
have not had a problem in months since converting all MLPPP customers
over.

Basically we shut down MLPPP and went with  (ip load-sharing per-packet)

Here is what our config looks like:

interface Serial1/0/0/13:0
 description Customer #4144 (San Diego) #1 UPDATE [4144]
 ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.252
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ip load-sharing per-packet
 ip route-cache distributed
 no cdp enable

interface Serial2/1/0/14:0
 description Customer #4144 (San Diego) #2 UPDATE [4144]
 ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.252
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ip load-sharing per-packet
 ip route-cache distributed
 no cdp enable

ip route X.X.X.X 255.255.255.252 Serial1/0/0/13:0
ip route X.X.X.X 255.255.255.252 Serial2/1/0/14:0

The only problem that we ran into was that we had to use the Serial designator
of the interface in our route statement otherwise it will not work (or
at least it did not for us).

Since converting our customers (all MLPPP customers) to ip load-sharing
per-packet - we have had no further problems.

Hope this helps someone....

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
[email protected]
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."