RE: UPS and generator interaction?

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Tue Mar 30 11:50:03 2004

Some UPS's do also.  We had a site that needed to have some work done on the
building mains.  Small, in the country, yada, yada, yada.  Owner had a
tractor mounted generator with a gearbox in front of it.  Pretty stable once
you tweaked it in because of the HP of tractor (small load too, like 4kVA,
gen was like 20kVA).

Problem was the gearbox in front of the generator between it and the tractor
was not standard, at least in the PTO realm.  Tractor owner thought it was
correct for a 540 rpm PTO speed.

It wasn't.

Forgot to check the output with a Voltage and Frequency meter.  Smelled a
distinct odor of burning electrical components.

Line Interactive APC UPS's don't do well with about 160 volts and 83 Hz
input.  Apparently, you can only interact so much ....

Honest to God, APC replaced it because they said it should have tripped off
line with the line being that out of whack ...

Eric