Re: disabling SMTP

  • From: Rob Nelson
  • Date: Mon Mar 29 07:23:43 2004

when smtp fixup is on (default on many older pixes, i gather that there
may be some improvements on newer pixes), the smtp banner
is mostly obscured by * characters. the intent is a classic security
by obscurity play, to hide the type and verison of the MTA behind
the pix.
Okay, so this is a problem when an SMTP server is hosted behind the PIX? I thought the fixup statements were for outbound connections, and with it on right now I get the full banner from SMTP servers. I don't host an SMTP server myself, so can't check that.

Rob Nelson
[email protected]