Re: disabling SMTP

  • From: David A.Ulevitch
  • Date: Sun Mar 28 12:38:17 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Eric A. Hall wrote:
To be more realistic (and to close-in on any 'proposal' which might
subsequently develop), it would likely be far more feasible to assign
somewhat agressive negative weighting to sessions that use HELO (and
further possible to assign mild positive weighting to sessions that use
properly-formed EHLO), such as for use with session-wide rejects.
This solution might work/help for what, maybe a week?

Spammers are scum but they aren't dumb.

I would imagine that posting this technique to NANOG just made it totally worthless. Look for malware to start being ESMTP compliant in a few hours, days or maybe a week if the spammers are too busy laughing at our complete and total collective failure at dealing with them effectively to put down their pina colada's to code the fix.

Cynical? maybe. True? Sadly I think it is.

Thanks,
david ulevitch