Re: Overflow circuit

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Sun Mar 28 02:21:52 2004

500 RTT, + 150 jitter buffer, + something else... it will be 700 - 800 msec,
more likely. When we worked with a few sattelliite lines (5 years ago), I
never saw ping rtt less than 800 msec. Of course, it does not mean that you
can not see RTT = 500 msec (but I never saw it).

But I was talking aboutt other thing - ~1second delay != bad quality, it is
just a delay, which means that, if you have good echo cancellers (which is
interesting question) and follow talking discipline, you can talk without
any problems. It explains, why satellite links + VoIP can be a good
combination (moreover; after satellite delay, which is 500 - 600 msec, VoIP
additional delay ,which is 50 - 150 msec, does not change overall delay so
much, as in case of VoIP over bad link _vs_ traditional telephony (200 msec
vs 20 msec = 10 times; 800 msec vs. 600 msec = 30%).