Re: Redirecting mail (Re: Throttling mail)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Thu Mar 25 14:50:15 2004

Everybody who's ever been a road warrior and trapped behind a hotel or ISP that
gratuitously snarfs up port 25 and then mangles your mail knows what I mean...
That's why network guys set up port 587 SMTP support, or ...even worse... authenticated port-80 SMTP relays on an otherwise idle machine in your NOC. Since its not for general consumption it doesn't need to be easy or automatic as long as it works.

I have been to hotels that wouldn't allow SSH or telnet, and only allowed port-80.. hence the creation of monstrous kludges on top of the only open port.

YMMV,

Deepak Jain
AiNET