Re: Knowledge tracking tools

  • From: dsr
  • Date: Wed Mar 24 13:23:12 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:06:19AM -0800, Steve Francis wrote:

> e.g. an easy way to dig up what the changes that occured on a system
> were for, who did them, etc.
> Obviously rancid et al shows us what changed when, but not the change
> plan that was responsbile or what problem it solved.

An internal Wiki with a page dedicated to each machine or machine-class.
There's good integration between TWiki and Bugzilla, but we have the
classic dichotomy of ticket systems vs bug-trackers: Bugzilla is better
for software, RT is better for hardware and networks.

Wikis greatly increase the retention and availability of knowledge: they
are easy to use, so people *do* use them; they are easy to search, so
people do that, too.

-dsr-