Re: Compromised Hosts?

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Sun Mar 21 21:36:29 2004

[email protected] (Deepak Jain) writes:

> 	Would any broadband providers that received automated, detailed
> (time/date stamp, IP information) with hosts that are being used to
> attack (say as part of a DDOS attack) actually do anything about it?

while not a broadband provider, i would be interested in that information.

> 	Would the letter have to include information like "x.x.x.x/32 has
> been blackholed until further notice or contact with you" to be
> effective?

i'd like a dynamic update of a blackhole-style zone, please.  while it
would not be my personal one (as shown in the following example), it would
be just like it.

naturally i would only share the update key with people whose judgement i
had confidence in -- deepak being an example of same.  probably the zone
would only be accessible using a tsig query key that would also be known
only to a set of judgement-trusted people (maybe the same set, maybe not).

i run the script below as part of my maillog-watcher (when postfix signals
that a worm was rejected), and my http sham server (when it detects an
attempt to do something bad), and my smtp sham server (likewise).  checking
just now i see 895028 entries auto-added to the list since inception (7 weeks
ago).  imagine what we could accomplish with more judgement-trusted
contributors.

any interest?  (this would probably show up as part of http://oarc.isc.org/
but before i propose it there i'm interested in field survey results.)

--------

#!/bin/sh

node=`echo $1 | awk -F. '{print $4 "." $3 "." $2 "." $1}'`; shift
zone="example.vix.com"
server="justanexample.vix.com"
ttl="1800"
nsupdate="/usr/local/bin/nsupdate"
keyfile="/var/named/rejectall/Kupdate-rejectall.+157+43810.key"

( echo server $server
  echo zone $zone
  echo prereq nxdomain $node.$zone
  echo update add $node.$zone $ttl A 0.0.0.0
  echo update add $node.$zone $ttl TXT created `date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
  if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then echo update add $node.$zone $ttl TXT reason [email protected]; fi
  echo send ) | $nsupdate -k $keyfile /dev/stdin

exit $?

--------

--
Paul Vixie