Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Fri Mar 19 18:23:08 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> The pc-weasel does not work in all motherboards also.

It does require a 5volt 32bit pci slot. and a ps/2 keyboard port, and it
won't work with an ami-winbios among other things...

In many respects the weasel is begining to show it's age, but many other
remote management cards I've used or attempted to use over the years
(compaq lights-out, ami-megarac) have either gone off the market, required
proprietary manangement software or were heavily geared towards mananging
windows boxen (I absolutely refuse to remotely co-locate windows
machines).

The killer feature (that I'm willing to pay monay for for one of these
products) is having a unit that can remotely power-cycle the box when the
os is totally hung. We used to do this (and still do), with serially
controlled power-strips but so many of the machines we sre buying take
redundant power sources, so that you end up needing twice as many remote
power-strips in order to turn off one box.

In all fairness to AMI they have a new management card which I have not
evaluated which they claim is 100% os independant, and has additional oob
connectivty options and battery backup. it also weighs in around $600.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email protected]