Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: Tim Wilde
  • Date: Thu Mar 18 14:38:00 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> Many of Intel's server boards support this (or at least did as of several
> years ago).  I had some issues getting Linux to play nice with that
> feature turned on.  I never had one of them sitting around long to figure
> out the issues before putting them in service (with console redirection
> turned off).  This was the T440BX/NL440BX board, which is kind of dated
> now.

Their server-class 1U/2U boards still do it - either the older (probably
soon to be EOL'd) SCB2ATA/SCB2SCSI Pentium III boards and the newer
SE7501WV2 Xeon boards.  Both of those boards integrates in 1U or 2U, ATA
RAID or SCSI, and plays very nicely with FreeBSD.  The SRCZCR RAID
daughtercard for the SE7501WV2 even has Intel-provided FreeBSD drivers
including storage console in the OS (something I've had a hard time
finding on FreeBSD from vendors like Adaptec).  The serial support also
works like a charm all the way through the BIOS into the OS.  We've got a
ton of these in production and they're rock solid.

Tim Wilde

--
Tim Wilde
[email protected]