Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
  • Date: Thu Mar 18 13:24:42 2004

	Hello All ,

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Kelly Setzer wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:07:31AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
...snip...
> > Is there an effective alternative?  All the intel "servers" these days
> > seem to have one of those handy-dandy (note: sarcasm) ethernet ports
> > variously called "integrated lights-out (ILO)" or "lights-out
> > management (LOM)", etc.
> > I am dismayed that intel-based server vendors haven't noticed the
> > decades-old trend of having serial ports for emergency/remote access.
> serial ports work fine for pc consoles in general, once your bootloader
> takes over you can display pretty much everything over there... some
> vendors provide options to map the bios display on the serial ports
> (supermicro) it's doesn't work for the bioses of some raid controllers
> however, a pc-weasel will handle that condition fine,and the pc-weasel can
> also do a hardware re-set of the whole machine to restart a hung box...
> They don't work so well if you only have one pci slot which you need for a
> raid controller or if as I found out recently someone reconfigures the
> terminal server and inadvertantly locks you out when you need it most.
	Tyan (& another I can't remember now) have console forwarding to
	the com1 port .  This MB is available in PenguinComputing's 1u &
	2u systems .  They run *BSD just fine as well .  Hth ,  JimL

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 3542 Broken Yoke Dr. |  Give me Linux  |
       | [email protected] | Billings , MT. 59105 |   only  on  AXP |