Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Thu Mar 18 01:09:18 2004

[email protected] (TxRx Lists) writes:

> > One thing you may want to devote a bit more text to:  what are typical
> > provisions for remote hands at these places?

that's one item.  others are serial console access, remote power cycle,
whether an appointment/escort is required for on-site visits... i can
add a row of checkboxes on every entry, but first i'm interested in
further normalizing the bandwidth column.  and it's looking like i'll
need some kind of unpublished e-mail address for each submitter, since
a lot of them only advertise phone numbers and i'll need a way to ask
for updates when new columns are added.  maybe this has to become a
database... yipe!

http://www.realweasel.com/ is your friend.  (isc has about a dozen of 'em.)

> The main thing that's always put me off paying for colocation is the
> threat of attacks against the system, and not so much the integrity of
> the data (because obviously I wouldn't keep anything important on it)

not so obvious.  my colo'd boxes have everything i care about, and they
copy it between eachother at night by cron entries.  my definition of "safe"
is multiple copies on diverse power grids.

> but more the bandwidth liability. 1&1 state clearly that they account
> for every byte to/from the NIC so just one unfortunate packet flood
> could see me paying a lot more than their reasonable monthly fee...

agreed.  my preference has been for bandwidth limiting and fixed prices.
--
Paul Vixie