Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: TxRx Lists
  • Date: Thu Mar 18 00:38:14 2004

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

One thing you may want to devote a bit more text to: what are typical provisions for remote hands at these places?
I agree, lack of interactive access to a system prior to a functional OS being loaded always seemed like a potential problem area to me, particularly for something based on common PC architecture.

I looked a bit deeper in to 1&1's offering (link on Paul's site) and it seems like they have a good setup- instant reboot of a system from a web interface, and also the ability to start some sort of remote recovery tool enabling file system checks and complete system recovery if necessary.

The main thing that's always put me off paying for colocation is the threat of attacks against the system, and not so much the integrity of the data (because obviously I wouldn't keep anything important on it) but more the bandwidth liability. 1&1 state clearly that they account for every byte to/from the NIC so just one unfortunate packet flood could see me paying a lot more than their reasonable monthly fee...

Chris
--
Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.