RE: Strange message possibly through nanog mail server

  • From: Thor Larholm
  • Date: Wed Mar 17 17:11:05 2004

> From: william(at)elan.net [mailto:[email protected]]

> I Just received this. I would like to check if others
> have received it and did it indeed come through nanog mailist

It came through NANOG, delivered from a Hotmail account that accepted it
from 198.26.130.36. Yes, that is a military IP, and most definitely not
the first time that spammers have relayed emails through compromised
military machines.

Spammers broke federal law long before the YOU-CAN-SPAM act.

For some reason, Peter Schroebel was CC'ed. You can read more about him
at

http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/listing.lasso?-op=cn&spammer=Peter%20Schro
ebel%20-%20SMS/Fullport

Character attacks such as this one are pretty common against
anti-spammers, we also had one attempted at Brian Bruns just days ago
here on NANOG.

Regards

Thor Larholm
Senior Security Researcher
PivX Solutions
24 Corporate Plaza #180
Newport Beach, CA 92660
http://www.pivx.com
[email protected]
Phone: +1 (949) 231-8496
PGP: 0x5A276569
6BB1 B77F CB62 0D3D 5A82 C65D E1A4 157C 5A27 6569

PivX defines "Proactive Threat Mitigation". Get a FREE Beta Version of
Qwik-Fix
<http://www.qwik-fix.net>