Re: NetAdmin + sales on NANOG like places.

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Wed Mar 17 15:30:14 2004

** Reply to message from Gerald <[email protected]> on Wed, 17 Mar 2004
14:22:25 -0500 (EST)

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Jonathan M. Slivko wrote:
>
> <SNIP INTRO & SALES BLURB>
>
> > I look forward to talking to you soon.
>
> > Jonathan M. Slivko             [email protected]
> > Sales/Network Operations       Invisible Hand Networks, Inc.
>
> I am currently doing a little of both sales/network admin at my company
> which competes directly with Jonathan's in the NYC market. I have some ?s
> about (network admins + sales people) for nanog folk:
>
> - As much as I sympathize with JS's desire to get his company name
> and information out, is this kind of E-mail encouraged/discouraged on
> NANOG? (AUP: "Blatant product marketing is unacceptable." Does this fit?)
>

> Would NANOG as a group agree (I know...you can laugh now.) that requests
> made here for suggestions are more often looking for technical people that
> have purchased from a company than a slightly biased sales pitch from the
> company you work for?
>
> I'm not an anti-capitalist, but I do like to attempt to keep the SNR down
> and if companies force sales hats to the networking staff this will become
> much more prevalent. Jonathan this isn't intended to offend you either, so
> I hope you don't take it that way.

Not that I'm any sort of PTB here (or pretty much anywhere), but I
would prefer that sales pitches of the type referenced be taken off
list.

So if we're polling & trolling, that's my opinion.

--
Jeff Shultz
Loose nut behind the wheel.