[Fwd: Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?]

  • From: Janet Sullivan
  • Date: Wed Mar 17 12:21:17 2004

Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
if the market for this is nanog and you're just looking for smtp/shell surely we
can manage this between ourselves without charge (ask your nanog buddy for a
shell as a favour).. I know I can and will do this
Well, I do have motives beyond outbound smtp.

I actually looked at some of the mail only services, but I really want
someplace that will do IMAP and authenticated SMTP.  I want to be able
to configure how I filter spam, which I don't want to do at the MUA
level because I'll need to access mail various ways from various locations.

Besides mail, I want to be able to create and control firewall rules on
the box.  I also want to be able to setup Apache exactly like I want it,
etc.  And sometimes its nice to have shell access on a machine in a
different location for troubleshooting purposes.

However, I do like the idea of setting up a community of like minded
individuals who would be willing to do secondary MX and/or DNS for each
other, and perhaps provide basic shell accounts...  On the other hand,
I'm a little leary of giving someone I don't know access to one of my boxes.

I'm curious how a virtual colocation or dedicated server co-op could
work, with values statements on how servers must be run (secure, no
SPAM), etc.  Would there be member fees?  Would members have to
democratically vote to let new members in after some kind of vetting
process?  Would anyone even be interested in such an idea?

It would also be interesting to see what kind of monitoring tools could
be developed with a diverse set of servers in different parts of the
world... could we set up a co-op version of keynote monitoring, where we
helped monitor each other?