Re: Firewall opinions wanted please

  • From: Rachael Treu
  • Date: Wed Mar 17 11:45:59 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 05:01:22PM -0600, Gregory Taylor said something to the effect of:
..snip snip..
> As discussed in a previous thread, I spoke about transparent bridging used for packet filtering and mangling.  On a small application, that might be a good idea, because you get all of the true internet access (i.e. legit IPs, no proxying etc.) with the same ability to filter TCP, ICMP, UDP, IGMP etc. traffic.
>
> Disadvantages to dealing with transparent bridging is that you run into the whole MAC address collision and excess over-head announcements being made from the bridge itself every time it sends a packet through.
>
> The best option I guess is to figure out how important it is for you to have a firewall,

_Everyone_ (network connected) should have a firewall.  My grandma should
have a firewall.  Nicole, holding dominion over this business network and
its critical infrastructure, should _definitely_ have a firewall.  ;)

Curses.  Budget constraints.  Bah.

>what is the reason you need one and how important the data is on your servers.  That will help you decide the best choice for a firewall or proxy application.

See above.  ;)

The importance of the data is often more and issue of calculating things
like redundancy and storage.  A firewall in this case should likely be
regarded as non-negotiable.

Be careful with transparent bridging in lieu of stricter edge filtering...
Also consider the efficacy and reward of firewall logs, application layer
filtering, and IDS integration (in a budget-friendly, open source flavor
of free...) down the road.

ymmv,
--ra

--
k. rachael treu, CISSP       [email protected]
..quis costodiet ipsos custodes?..