Re: Firewall opinions wanted please

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Tue Mar 16 22:36:43 2004

In message <[email protected]>, Valdis.Kletni
[email protected] writes:

>--==_Exmh_2134986584P
>
>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:27:16 PST, Nicole <[email protected]>  said:
>
>>  From what I have heard a proxy firewall would be best?
>
>I'll go out on a limb here and say that the actual make and model of the
>firewall don't matter anywhere *near* as much as a proper understanding on the
>client's part of what a firewall can and can't do.

You're not going out on a limb; you're absolutely right, and I've been
saying that for years.  I'll quote myself:

   Although firewalls are a useful part of a network security
   program, they are not a panacea. When managed properly, they
   are useful, but they will not do everything. If
   firewalls are used improperly, the only thing they buy you
   is a false sense of security.

Beyond that, different security policies have a much greater impact
than different brands or types of firewalls.