GigE High-Availability + Link Aggregation

  • From: Jason McCormick
  • Date: Tue Mar 16 22:10:42 2004

Hello all,

  I'm trying to price and buy a network setup for a high-availability
GigE situation that requires link aggregation.  In a simplistic
example, my need is to have, Host A with 2 GigE NICs (copper) that are
link aggregated with 802.3ad but each "side" is run to a different
switch with a host Host B on the other side configured in the same
manner.  For example:

                  +----------------+
               /--| GigE Switch 1  |--\
              |   +----------------+  |
              /                       \
        NIC1-/                         \-NIC1
HOST A -=                                   =- Host B
        NIC2-\                         /-NIC2
              \                       /
              |   +----------------+  |
               \--| GigE Switch 2  |--/
                  +----------------+

In this example, Host A would have an IP of 10.0.0.1 that would be
aggregated on both NIC1 and NIC2 to provide 2Gbps through put and Host
B would have 10.0.0.2 with link aggregation.  The theory to this being
that I can kill two birds with one stone and provide 2Gbps throughput
while having the high-availability.  If Switch1 dies, throughput drops
to 1Gbps but the endpoints are still available and vise-versa.

If I'm understanding 802.3ad properly, the aggregates have to be on the
same switch or at least in the same "stack" and can't be passed along
on-wire in the same way that other tagged protocols can (such as VLAN
tags).  Maybe I'm wrong on this?  As usual, cost is a MAJOR constraint
(when isn't it?!?) and I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution.
Can anyone recommend a product/products that would accomplish this for
me?  I'm trying to keep the price < $6000 if possible.  If you feel
this is off-topic, please feel free to reply to me personally.

Thanks a lot in advance!

--
Jason McCormick
[email protected]