Re: Firewall opinions wanted please

  • From: Gregory Taylor
  • Date: Tue Mar 16 17:56:27 2004

PIX firewalls are great if you configure them correctly for the application.  40 or less servers may not require something as complex, however if the data you are protecting is super-critical, I think a PIX might be your best solution.

Proxy firewalls (i.e. Linux, BSD or variant gateways) are good if you're into doing a internal IP network with a NAT access point.  But remember dealing with proxies, there is no such thing as a 'TRUE' transparent proxy, and having to go through all of the complexities of port forwarding, packet mangling, etc. might be too much if you are simply trying to firewall your web servers and whatnot.

As discussed in a previous thread, I spoke about transparent bridging used for packet filtering and mangling.  On a small application, that might be a good idea, because you get all of the true internet access (i.e. legit IPs, no proxying etc.) with the same ability to filter TCP, ICMP, UDP, IGMP etc. traffic.

Disadvantages to dealing with transparent bridging is that you run into the whole MAC address collision and excess over-head announcements being made from the bridge itself every time it sends a packet through.

The best option I guess is to figure out how important it is for you to have a firewall, what is the reason you need one and how important the data is on your servers.  That will help you decide the best choice for a firewall or proxy application.

Greg

From: Nicole <[email protected]>
Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:27:16 -0800 (PST)