Re: Replacement for a Extreme Black Diamond 6808

  • From: Erik Haagsman
  • Date: Tue Mar 16 09:54:22 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 04:59, Tom (UnitedLayer) wrote:

> Are you using it for L2 only, or L2+L3?
> I hear decent things about using them for L2 only, and using J or C boxes
> for the L3 portion.

Yep...that's the way we do it as well, L2 on the BD6808's and L3 on J
boxes although we started out using the BD's for part of our Layer3
traffic as well. They just gave too many problems, so if you can do your
L3 on a router and use them strictly for L2 traffic. We also run Foundry
switches, and if you absolutely need to do some L3 (OSPF/iBGP) on your
switches your better of using Foundry switches with an M4 blade, their
L3 code is much more mature than Extreme's, but when it comes to raw
performance try to avoid those scenarios and just let the BD do Layer2.
Their L3 might be crap, but they scream at L2.

Cheers,

--
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect