RE: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Andrew Dorsett
  • Date: Mon Mar 15 23:40:12 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Vivien M. wrote:

> You must be talking about a different Netreg system that the one everyone
> else has used. The one we're talking about involves you logging in when you
> connect with an unknown MAC - once you've used the system to match your MAC
> to your student number/login/etc, then the DHCP server will give you a real
> IP the next time you request a lease...

Yes I am... I am referring to a system which an unmentionable university
has in place.  It requires the user to enter their username and password
each time the link state changes before they are allowed outside of the
local lan.  This is also similar to the new port
authentication system on the Extreme Networks switches.  It automatically
delves out an address to the user so they can access a login portal and
then it reissues them a legitimate address once they have been
authenticated.  This is a pretty slick setup for mobile users who connect
in temporarily to public portals but it makes little sense in a fixed
network environment of a dorm room or office.

Andrew
---
<[email protected]>
http://www.andrewsworld.net/
ICQ: 2895251
Cisco Certified Network Associate

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."