Re: Platinum accounts for the Internet (was Re: who offers cheap(personal) 1U colo?)

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Mon Mar 15 19:12:56 2004

> I find it ironic that one of the presentations at the last nanog was about
> a system kind of like that:
> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0402/gauthier.html
> and that we had some luser on the nanog30 wireless network infected by SQL
> slammer.

Well it wouldnt be nanog without a few infections, password grabs and other
random security breaches....

> Does anyone know who that was, how/if they were located and removed from
> the network, and whether they brought an infected PC (either via stupidity
> or as a joke) or simply brought an unpatched system out from behind their
> firewall/packet filters and got infected before they got a chance to
> actually use the network?

Probably genuine error (clueless/oversight), no names.. where is Randy when you
want him?

> After that incident, I sniffed the wireless for a little while and noticed
> slammer is alive and well out on the internet and still trying to infect
> the rest of the internet.

*jlewis in network sniffing shock!*

> We're still blocking it at our transit borders.  The one time it was
> removed (accidentally), a colo customer was infected very shortly after
> the filter's protection was lost.

yeah theres lots, we filter for several known worms on the gateway routers at
the meetings we sponsor, i recommend nanog sponsors do the same (altho it cant
save u from the devil within)

Steve