RE: Will your cisco have the FBI's IOS?

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Mon Mar 15 11:03:05 2004

This is part of a law enforcement wishlist which has been around for a
long time (See Magic Lantern, Clipper Chip et. al. for examples).

What is desired here is a system by which all communications
originating/or terminating at $DESIGNATED_TARGET can be intercepted with
no intervention by and/or knowledge of the carrier hence ensuring the
security of the investigation.

The trouble with a system like this is that like all backdoors it can be
exploited by non-legitimate users but law enforcement personnel tend to
have a very limited understanding of technology and communications tech
especially since to the majority of LEA's AOL == Internet many local LEA's
their only internet access is AOL.

I've been asked how do you track down all $NET_MISCREANTS in town.  I told
the chief that it requires good old fashioned police work.  The net is not
magic and is decentralized.   But what is wanted is a centralized place
where with the press of a button you can see who Joe Smith has been
talking to, sending email to and what web pages he is looking at to make
investigations easy from a civil liberties standpoint that is a _bad_
thing human nature being what it is.

It is our job as members of the NANOG community to educate our politicians
and police so that we do not end up living in a system which would be the
envy of the Stasi and the Soviet era KGB

                            Scott C. McGrath