Re: Platinum accounts for the Internet (was Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?)

  • From: Ben Crosby
  • Date: Mon Mar 15 10:51:38 2004

John,

There are the beginnings of some wireless devices that are capable of
directing wireless clients to cease transmission with L2 link control
messages. These are just beginning to emerge, and unfortunately I'm
certain that with only a matter of time people will write drivers that
ignore such control messages.

The end result is that AP's can effectively address a DoS at an
invalid/penalty-boxed host on the wireless ether, and allow everyone
else to remain connected. There is a b/w penalty for the flood of
control messages. One implementation I have been researching leaves
~75% of b/w available for valid traffic. That doesn't seem too bad to
me, but I need to research real stats for how much b/w is consumed by
the worms in the first place.

Cheers,
Ben.

John> On 15 Mar 2004 08:01:15 -0500
John> "Robert E. Seastrom" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Maybe NANOG needs to implement a system where you have to log
>> > in to a web page with your NANOG meeting passcode in order to
>> > get a usable IP address. Then, when an infected computer shows
John> [...]
>> Seconded.  This is dirt simple to do.  If we believe in public
>> humiliation, a list of infected machines and their owners (along with
John> [...]

John> In the case of some networks and some type of malware, you might need to
John> do more than this.  For example, if a compromised host continues to spew
John> out packets without a valid IP, this still eats link capacity.  If the
John> network is relatively flat, which is often is in wireless configurations,
John> you still have a problem to solve before normal access for everyone else
John> is restored.

John> John