Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Mar 15 01:13:18 2004

[email protected] ("Christopher L. Morrow") writes:

> > > It has very little to do with the quality of the ISP's abuse desk.
> >
> > long term, it does.  my sister is in sbc-dsl territory and before i
> > linuxed her and tunneled her, ...
>
> As was pointed out to me by a co-worker: "Linux is not anymore inherently
> secure than anyother OS."

your co-worker needs to spend a few thanksgiving holidays the way i spent
my last one, and then i'll listen to what he's got to say.

> The difference really comes in the administration of the pee cee. So,
> would upgrading joe-random-user to Linux really make things better for
> them? (or us?) That is not clear at all at this point.

it makes a number of things easier, like tunnelling.  the fact that no
viruses are being crafted for it is apparently (according to bill gates
in a recent interview) not an indication of software quality but rather
market size.  whatever.

> Certianly the point central to your arguement is that with the right
> abuse-desk to customer ratio AND the right customer base, things could be
> kept clean for smtp/web/ftp/blah 'hosting'. This is most certainly the
> case...

righto.

> I look forward to seeing your list of providers and prices :)

naturally everybody has their own units of measure, so it's proving
difficult to regularize it.  perhaps another beer will help.
--
Paul Vixie