Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Andrew Dorsett
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 23:53:01 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Andrew Dorsett  [3/15/2004 9:52 AM] :
>
> > Well whats wrong with you setting up a small router and using one IP?  The
> > crap I hear most of the time is that they want to only issue one ip per
>
> Nothing particularly wrong with it as long as there's some mechanism to
> zero in on rooted / abused machines there.

Exactly my point!  But so many universities and small ISPs are against it
with a vengance.  Like I keep saying, they are sharing one wall portal. I
know go to that keystone, find the hub and then go "Who's is this?"  Tell
them to clean up their machine because its infected and give them what I
know....ie: it was ip blah blah or sorry I can't tell you anything because
it was coming through your NAT box and all I see is a single IP.

Personally, shhh don't tell certain people who I know are lurking on this
list :)  But I ran a NAT box with 4 machines at one point.  An XP box for
my general use, an SGI box for development, a linux box for development,
and another linux box acting as my ftp server.

Andrew
---
<[email protected]>
http://www.andrewsworld.net/
ICQ: 2895251
Cisco Certified Network Associate

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."