Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Andrew Dorsett
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 23:25:01 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> And what is wrong with setting up a hub or something in a dormroom?  I
> find it quite convenient to leave both my PC and a laptop running on my
> desk, for various reasons (too many open terminals and windows is one of
> them ...)

Well whats wrong with you setting up a small router and using one IP?  The
crap I hear most of the time is that they want to only issue one ip per
student unless you pay for more.  The other thing is that at a very
technical university like ours, a lot of engineers will opt for multiple
machines thus much more address space required if only using a hub.

The other argument is that they want to make sure they have plenty of
capacity by knowing how many users they have and hopefully not multiple
machines that they don't know about behind a firewall.  Again, more BS
because geez each wall portal can spit out 10/100 regardless of how many
machines are behind it.  Lets not even get into what OS's can really
use outta those respective pipes, thats another story. :)

Look outside of the university to the small college ISPs.  They even
actively hunt for cable/dsl routers and turn off ports if they think
they have found them.  Don't want students cheating their service by
wiring up the whole apartment to one cable modem.  What a ripoff....And
why ?  Because most college students have no clue and are willing to
accept it.  Plus some apartment complexes have contracts with specific
providers that provides a monopoly situation.

I miss the good ol days when I worked for the ISP I had access
through....At least then I could remove myself from the
restrictions...Guess when I finally move to MD for work I'll have to make
friends with someone at Comcast. ;-)

Andrew
---
<[email protected]>
http://www.andrewsworld.net/
ICQ: 2895251
Cisco Certified Network Associate

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."