Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 21:08:13 2004

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake "Vivien M." <[email protected]>

Actually, you're forgetting what I think is the biggest reason for doing
this: before the user registers via the web-based DHCP thing, they
are shown the AUP and have to say they agree to it. If you just leave
straight IP connections available in rooms, and people violate the AUP,
they can QUITE credibly argue "But I never read this AUP". The
web-based DHCP registration system prevents that.
Students have an existing legal relationship with the school; they can be
required to accept the AUP in writing at some point during the enrollment
process.
It all comes down to how you view the people on your network--students,
faculty, administrators, subscribers, whatever.  If they are
"customers" you take one set of views and one way of solving problems.

If you see them as "lusers", to take another.

--
Requiescas in pace o email