Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Brian Bruns
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 17:21:30 2004

On Sunday, March 14, 2004 4:58 PM [EST], Janet Sullivan <[email protected]>
wrote:

> My cable modem provider filters port 25, so I can't run my own SMTP
> server.  Their mail servers suck.  Yes, I could pay for a business class
> cable modem connection and they'd unblock the port... but I'd likely
> still be filtered.
>
> Guess who is having a dedicated 1U set up right now? ;-)
>
> I think Paul is right, there is a small niche market for this.

Hm, are there companies out there that offer outbound SMTP services (for
people who are blocked, or which need a mail server thats not blacklisted
because their provider isn't dealing with spam problems)?  I never really
looked into too much, but I haven't seen it offered on provider's sites
outright.

I was considering setting up a service like this (we have 2-3 outbound mail
relay servers that are sitting idle because we don't need them yet), but
wasn't sure how interested people would be.  Like, say, setup a service that
offers people the ability to send outbound mail through based on IP ACLs,
possibly SMTP AUTH, TLS/SSL certs, and other things which could authenticate
the sender, and have it accept SMTP on various other non-25 ports.

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The Abusive Hosts Blocking List
http://www.ahbl.org