Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: George William Herbert
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 03:08:30 2004

There are other good reasons to colo a server
rather than have it at home:

1) Colo facility easier to get generator and *real* UPS
   lifetime for at affordable rates.

2) Colo facility upstream networking not subject to the whims
   of increasingly incompetent broadband providers.

3) Colo facility can have redundant networking a lot cheaper
   than home users (and simpler... trying to get BGP fed
   up a DSL link of any budget, to have truly redundant
   networking at home, isn't possible that I know of,
   and is increasingly difficult with full budget T-1s
   unless you know someone).

And last but not least:

4) Proper quality servers make more noise than I want in my office
   at home.

I have been paying order of $200/month for reasonably
high end home internet since the days when that was Netcom
and a 14.4k dialup modem and a Class C, though I now get
much more bandwidth.  Due to service level declines
I have been looking into redundant connectivity.
But the options suck.

Precisely as Paul points out, me taking my Sun V100 and
sticking it in someone else's rack, were it $50/month,
would be an *excellent* solution for me on all levels.

I do not know that there are several racks full of people
like me, even in the SF Bay area, but I would be willing
to bet that the answer is yes.

-george william herbert
[email protected]