RE: Will your cisco have the FBI's IOS?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 02:07:45 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
> I believe that CALEA versions of IOS are already available on cisco.com.  It
> has a backdoor for any traffic originating from dhs.gov address space. ;)

If law enforcement was satisified with the solutions already available, I
don't think they would have spent the time creating this filing.  It's
probably a good idea for anyone associated in the Internet industry to
read the filing because it may be requesting the FCC change definitions
of who is covered and what they must do. Even if you thought CALEA didn't
apply to you for the last 10 years; you might find out after this you will
be required to provide complete CALEA capabilities.  The requested
"capabilities" may be more than are currently available from vendors.

Do you know what is the difference between "call-identifying information"
and "communications-identifying information"?  They both have the intials
CII.  What is the difference between the phone number of a fax machine and
the from/to lines on the cover page of the fax?