RE: Enterprise Multihoming

  • From: Burton, Chris
  • Date: Fri Mar 12 21:13:26 2004

Address portability all depends on if you IP blocks are assigned by
ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/ISP portable or if you are using the ISP's address
space.

	It has been my experience that multi-homing to diverse ISP's
with multiple circuits per ISP (i.e. Primary/Secondary with ISP-A and
Primary/Secondary with ISP-B) is the best option if you can afford the
cost and your bandwidth requires it.

	Like it was stated before, if you can afford the possible
downtime associated with multi-homing to a single ISP then yes there are
definitely cost savings to be had and reduced administrative overhead;
but, if you cannot afford the possibility of downtime then separate
ISP's is the only way to go.

Chris Burton
Network Engineer
Walt Disney Internet Group: Network Services

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact Walt Disney Internet Group at
206-664-4000.