Re: Enterprise Multihoming

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Thu Mar 11 12:36:14 2004

Hello;

On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 12:10 PM, John Neiberger wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I'm glad that I got some
opinions here before I proceeded. I also participate in another list
that has some fairly experienced people on it. They prevailing opinion
there was that multihoming to multiple providers was overrated and
largely unnecessary, and they just about had me convinced.

Let me guess - they are with big providers ?

I keep track of new ASN's appearing in BGP - of the last few thousand or so, the number that do not appear to be small multi-homers is about 1 in 500. (The metric is, no transit prefixes and only 1 or 2 small prefixes announced in BGP.)

That does not prove they are correct, but a lot of people
clearly are of this opinion.

My current opinion is that since we can't accept much downtime in the
case of a single provider failure, it's probably not wise to put all of
our eggs in Sprint's basket even if all circuits are geographically
diverse.

Thanks again,
John
--