RE: Enterprise Multihoming

  • From: McBurnett, Jim
  • Date: Thu Mar 11 12:26:11 2004

Look at it this way:
If Multi-homing to ensure maximum reliabilty was not a good thing:
why would XYZ isp do it?

Take this example:
Remember last year (or year before?) when MCI had the routing issue
on the east coast?  I had a friend that had 2 T-1's to MCI, he lost all reachability
for over 5 hours. I had another friend that had a T-1 from MCI and one from AT&T.
He stayed up, and so did his ecommerce site.

So the end questions is:
Do you trust your upstream enough to bank your business, or more importantly
your reputation as an IT professional, on the ability of everyone at your ISP
to maintain their network and everything that gives you access 99.999% of the time?

Jim