Re: Source address validation (was Re: UUNet Offer New ProtectionAgainst DDoS)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Mar 08 15:57:56 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Steve Francis wrote:
> That was exactly what I was doing by saying I will only get service from
> ISPs that run loose-uRPF in cores. (or all edges, including peering links.)
>
> I will not take service from ISP X, who is cheaper than ISP Y, if ISP X
> cannot assure me that I will not get bogon sourced traffic on my link.

Why do you care how a provider does X?

Your requirement doesn't seem to be run loose-uRPF in cores, although that
may be one way a provider chooses to solve the problem.  You requirement
is "not get bogon sourced traffic on your link."

I know its tempting to tell other people how to run their networks.  But
specifying the solution sometimes cuts out alternative solutions which
work just as well or maybe better.