Re: Source address validation (was Re: UUNet Offer New ProtectionAgainst DDoS)

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Sun Mar 07 20:16:33 2004

SD> Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:17:50 -0500 (EST)
SD> From: Sean Donelan

SD> SAV doesn't tell you where the packets came from.  At best
SD> SAV tells you where the packets didn't come from.

If SAV were universal, source addresses could not be spoofed.  If
source addresses could not be spoofed...

SD> You would be wrong.  There are networks that have deployed
SD> SAV/uRPF.

Some.  I said "all".

SD> They saw no _net_ savings.
SD>
SD> In the real world, it costs more to deploy and maintain
SD> SAV/uRPF.

The benefit is to other networks.  When other networks make your
life easier, you benefit.  If you want others to help you, help
them.

SD> Have you noticed this thread is full of people who don't run
SD> large networks saying other people who do run networks should
SD> deploy SAV/uRPF.

1. SAV is most effective at the edge, which often implies the
   smaller networks should be doing it

2. I've not seen large networks talking about their awful
   experiences with SAV.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/