Re: dealing with w32/bagle

  • From: Brian Wilson
  • Date: Wed Mar 03 15:46:41 2004

Quoting Dan Hollis <[email protected]>:

> I am curious how network operators are dealing with the latest w32/bagle
> variants which seem particularly evil.
>
> Also, does anyone have tools for regexp and purging these mails from unix
> mailbox (not maildir) mailspool files? Eg purging these mails after the
> fact if they were delivered to user's mailboxes before your virus scanner
> got a database update.

I am also interested in what network/mail folks are doing about this situation.
 Blocking all zip files at the mail level is next to impossible (since of course
when we started blocking executable files, we told people to zip up executables)
and since business can't be taken care of without someone requiring zip files to
pass.  I will be the first to admit that using mail as a file transfer protocol
isn't the way to go, but getting people to realize that (and forcing them to
change) is next to impossible.

Brian