Re: UUNet Offer New Protection Against DDoS

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Wed Mar 03 02:40:17 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, John Obi wrote:
> Hello Nanogers!
>
> I'm happy to see this, and I hope C&W, Verio, and Level3 will do the same!
> http://informationweek.securitypipeline.com/news/18201396

"MCI/WorldCom Monday unveiled a new service level agreement (SLA) to help
 IP services customers thwart and defend against Internet viruses and threats.

 The new SLA is focused on Denial of Service (DoS) attacks and is extended
 immediately for free to all current customers of the telecommunications
 company, according to MCI. It ensures that all MCI Internet customers will
 have immediate access to the company's security staff to help them rapidly
 address and mitigate DoS attacks

 According to Santarelli, MCI will guarantee a response to suspected DoS
 attacks within 15 minutes of a customer-generated trouble-ticket through
 MCI Customer Support"

Blah, blah, blah.... I would say this is a lot more like a self-ad then
press-release of new service. UUNET already responded within 15 minutes
or less to DoS attacks, at least this is what it was several years ago.
Possibly this changed when they went ch11 and now they are just trying to
get back to normal. But I would not say that this is anything "special".

Of course, I would be happy to see others say the same too in their SLA, but
how about that they simply would just RESPOND in 15 minute to customer request.
(And actually one of my upstreams does exactly that they respond and have that
 in their SLA. And they usually respond within 1-3 minutes and not only do
 I not have to call them, but they actually call me if the link is down or
 if there is serious congestion on it. Quite a a bit overzellous actually!)

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks