Re: Possibly yet another MS mail worm

  • From: John Palmer
  • Date: Mon Mar 01 14:15:58 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: "Henry Linneweh" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 12:59
Subject: Re: Possibly yet another MS mail worm

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:35:05 PST, Henry Linneweh <[email protected]>  said:

>> Everyday there is a new, news article on this and every day everyone
>> panics and eeryday some one says tell the government to make a law, it is time
>> to realize that no law is going to do anything for anyone soon. In the past we
>>just took care of the problem and we can do the same now by sharing the solutions we
>>shared then for FREE.

>The basic problem is that for the average ISP, requiring the users to have a
>clue and to use secure software is financial suicide. <insert obligatory Randy
>Bush reference here>.  Until something happens to change the cost/benefit
>ratios, we're stuck with it.  Remember that vendor lock-in is an issue - why
>should the user spend all the time/money of obtaining new software and learning
>how to use it if they're currently not experiencing high amounts of cost/pain?
>Many users will write off "I'm only losing 2 or 3 days of work a year due to
>virus/worms" and balance that against "Moving to <anything else> would screw
>things up for 2 weeks while I relearn and reconfigure", and decide it's not
>worth changing...

I am kind of torn between new legislation to force users to clean up their machines
when infected vs letting things go becuase I don't like government intervention, in
general.

I guess if society deems it a big enough problem, they'll push for legislation. Right now,
folks don't seem to mind absorbing the cost of these worms.

Till this changes, I don't think anything will get done, either on the technical or legal
side.